Friday, April 19, 2013

Caleb's Corner: King of Banana Land

Caleb LOVES bananas! Most babies and young children do.  But his affection for them is extremely passionate.   If he could eat them all day...HE SERIOUSLY WOULD.  I have to limit him to 2 or 3 a day if he's extremely persistent in having more than one.  At times we have to spell it or use the code name "the yellow thing" because when he hears the word he can go a little crazy.  To get in his good graces his cousin presents it as a friendship offering and it's always welcomed with a bright smile.  He woke up last night requesting it fervently. Seriously??  I have never seen anyone in a banana love affair until Caleb came along.   I used to think that bananas were only good for: potassium, carbohydrates and fiber.  More recently I've become enlightened on the amazing benefits bananas provide.  I'm still not going to let Caleb eat 6 a day! But maybe it's okay if his body needs it...and it's not banana candy...it's the real deal! Maybe I should rethink the 2-3/day rule?? Tell me what you think after you finish this post.

 
King of Banana Land
 

Here is what I've learned about bananas:

1. Three medium sized bananas can provide the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for adult males of vitamin B6.

2. Bananas contain significant amounts of vitamins C, B1, B2, E and folate (also a B vitamin).

3. Besides potassium bananas are rich in magnesium and iron.

4. Insoluble and soluble fiber are found in this fruit that will keep you regular and help to  lower cholesterol.

5.  Small amounts of serotonin are present which nurtures the nervous system by inhibiting spinal cord  pain and sedates nerves.

6. Bananas are an ideal fruit for people suffering from coronary disease and circulatory disorders. Diets high in potassium and low in sodium have been discovered to prevent hypertension and strokes.

7. Relief from diarrhea can be found in this fruit and can help soothe the digestive system for people with Celiac's disease.

8. Bananas alkalize the blood which can help neutralize and eliminate excess uric acid that cause arthritis and gout.

The best way to eat it is directly from its hygienic package (the skin).  Fried bananas are pretty good too! But with most fruit the more heat is applied, the less goodies remain.






Even after my research I still will not let Caleb eat JUST a banana for breakfast.  He must add protein,  more minerals and goodness by adding chia porridge to the party.  I posted about the benefits of chia last month (Chia is Red Hot).  Caleb has been eating chia since he was 6 months old. He graduated from the blended up smooth version to what you see below: 

Chia porridge and bananas


Today's porridge was made using nut, dairy and soy free milk. I blended up hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried apricots and coconut butter then added it to the dried chia  seeds and let the seeds bloom for about 15 minutes.  After blooming I added pro biotic and bananas.  A breakfast for champions! My sweet champion!

Some people don't like bananas and prefer banana flavored candy.  I can't stand any thing flavored banana except for the fruit itself! Now that I know how beneficial bananas are I feel better about Caleb's rate of consumption.  LOL!  But requesting it at 2am? A bit much!
 
Okay so...should Caleb get more than 2-3 bananas per day???



Peace and blessings!!


Reference for this post: The Encyclopedia of Foods and Their Healing Power - Dr. Pamplona-Roger

6 comments:

  1. I think the young man is listening to his body and its saying banana, the same way other people's bodies say chocolate but instead of chocolate they should be like this young man and eat a fruit high in magnesium like green apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We need to turn our cravings around. Reverse them from the bad to the good stuff. Yes...the young man's body seems to love bananas! Thanks for the tip! If your are craving chocolate you really need a green apple people! Try it and see how your body responds. Won't hurt to try! :)

      Delete
  2. I would say that should be enough, as any more than that and you may take up valuable tummy space for other nutrients. As you know, variety is key. You could use his affinity for bananas to sneak in other nutrients. Like let him see you put the banana in the blender and add other goodies that he normally rejects but needs, then let him drink up. The flavor of banana is so strong that it seems to mask most other foods when combined in a blender. BTW, what a cute pic! Love his expression - "I know you don't think you 'bout to take this banana from me." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee - thanks for the suggestion of letting Caleb see me make a smoothie using bananas. I'll have to try that! I'll let you know how it goes! :) And yes...he does not play around when it comes to his "na-na".

      Delete
    2. Hi Renee - yesterday was a successful smoothie drinking experience for Caleb! I showed him the banana going into the blender and he was all about that smoothie! He is finicky with his smoothie drinking.....so I was happy he joined the Drink Your Greens challenge yesterday! We'll see about today! Thanks again for the tip!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!