Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Food Journey: The Almost Raw Lunch

Hi Folks -

Yesterday I had an almost raw lunch.  I love sushi style vegetable rolls.  I'm not a raw meat fan, so  I've never ingested sushi with raw sea animals.....I just don't think animals should be consumed raw by humans.  I have visions of petri dishes full of various microbes with differing sizes and shapes! It gives me the hee bee gee bees!!!

I love vegetable rolls so I made a version yesterday at home.  You can use anything you like! In the past I've made this dish with sweet potatoes, avocado, red bell peppers and garlic.  For the most recent creation I used what was currently in the kitchen.

This is a good meal to pack a bunch of flavorful, highly nutritious food into one sitting.  It's a good alternative to eating a salad.  All the ingredients were raw except for the rice.  You don't have to use rice and there is a raw method to preparing rice called "blooming".  I have yet to try it though so no tips on that one!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
Lotus white rice (this I why it's a mostly raw lunch).  I've used jicama in the past for "rice"
red cabbage
mango
scallions
fresh dill
sweet onions
bean sprouts
Braggs liquid amino (or you can use soy sauce)
Super tonic dressing (this orange stuff pictured below adds brightness to any meal!)


Preparation:
1. Cut up all desired ingredients
2. Layer ingredients on sheets of Nori (seaweed)
3. Roll ingredients and Nori into a cylinder
4. Cut and eat or just eat!

Time: 30-35 minutes - this depends on how many ingredients you cut up and how many rolls you end up making.  I made about 7 rolls yesterday and had to cut up more dill, scallions and red cabbage.  Just play it by sight.


Fixings: red cabbage, oinions, dill, scallions, mango, ginger and bean sprouts

The fixings on a seaweed sheet
 
Try it and let me know how it goes...again, be creative! Let your taste buds and hunger energy lead you to an awesome meal!



The finished product!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!