Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Health Journey: Why are you still awake?

Folks...today I am utterly pooped!  I know I need more rest, but feel compelled to stuff as much as I can into the hours that I am awake...sometimes that means sacrificing sleep.  Good peaceful sleep is the only way for our bodies to truly recharge and heal.   With out it, you cannot operate at optimal levels.  Ever been driving and got tired to the point of falling asleep at the wheel?  Very scary!




Unfortunately, I am an expert at not getting any rest.  It started when I was pregnant.  I would wake up at 2 or 3 a.m. and would not fall back asleep until it was time to get ready for work.  I will admit, this week the homestead is a bit of a mess.  I just don't have enough energy get everything done!  Work is a beast and I am spent.  So why am I still up???????????????????

Getting good rest is a tip I gave in 11 Ways to Eliminate Stress Naturally.  I admit......this tip I rarely fulfill although I know the importance of it.

In the book Back to Eden the author lists ways to relax yourself before bed to ensure a better nights sleep and herbs that can assist.

  • Hops
  • Motherwort
  • Mullein
  • Peppermint

The book Digestive Wellness (A Bunch of Papers Put Together for the Journey) also cites a set of herbs to enhance sleep:

  • Chamomile
  • Valerian root


I will add lavender essential oil or a sleep sachet to the mix. 

We give Caleb Chamomile tea almost every night before bed occasionally jazzed up with peppermint.  During the months when sleep was really a luxury (do to the eczema woes) we tried giving him diluted Valerian root tea.

Both references site very similar tips on how to get a good night's sleep.
  1. One hour before bed, turn off all your gadgets (2)
  2. Go to bed at the same time each night (2)
  3. Don't push yourself to keep going after your steam levels have been depleted. Stop and rest! (1,2)
  4. Exercise during the day (1)
  5. Make sure your bed is just right (not too soft, not too hard) (1)
  6. Try to go to bed on an empty stomach ( I am guilty of late night snacking!!) (1)
  7. Purposefully relax your muscles, try deep breathing, listen to music or read a book (1, 2)

This child is knocked out! This is my goal!

So instead of pushing myself to the limit...eating snacks...getting aggravated at what has not been done yet...I AM GOING TO SLEEP TONIGHT!  I will miss my favorite show....but there is always abc.com and Hulu!!

I must start doing what I know to be right concerning getting more quality rest.  It's the only way for me be in my right mind, heal, and be effective during the day.  I almost fell asleep on my keyboard today at work!!! Yikes!

I want to hear back from you!  Do you have any "good night" tips?  Please add them to the list!!

Good Night!

Peace and blessings!



References for this post:
1 - Back to Eden - Jethro Kloss
2 - Digestive Wellness - Elizabeth Lipski
 

2 comments:

  1. If you go to bed earlier, you will actually
    Sleep better and longer. I can never do this consistently. Most times I go to bed between 11 and 12 am. My sleep is a bit restless and I tend to wake up around 3 am and again 5am. Needless to say, I can hardly get up when the alarm goes off. I have to get up at 6 am so this crazy pattern is very irritating.

    I found that when I go to bed at 10 pm, after a few days, I actually sleep a lot more sound, do not wake during the night and I am ready to get up when the alarm goes off at 6 am.

    For me, I have to make it a habit to go to bed at 10 pm. Once my body adjust, I feel better, think better, have more patience and all that other good stuff. I think that getting good sleep is a discipline and take commitment and tenacity to get back on the right track when we get offer to even start getting better sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess good sleep habits like anything else take time to cultivate and consistency is key. I agree with you totally! I really have to start making some changes...especially now that Caleb is pretty much sleeping through the night and goes down by 9 at the latest...I just fill the time I should be sleeping with things I didn't do during the day. The balance can be tough when you do not work in the home....and you don't see your kids until evening. I know I feel so much better when I'm well rested! More pleasant, can think clearer....and I have way more patience like you mentioned. Thanks for the tips Big Sis K!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!