Thursday, August 15, 2013

What happened to my curls??

Years ago, when I had longer hair I would blow dry my hair to lengthen my twists, and sometimes straighten it with a hot comb.  I didn't think the blow drying affected my hair, but when I straightened it, I lost some of my curl. There were some spots that took months (yes months) for the curls to return. Below is an example of the blow dried twist out.
Blow dried twist out - to lengthen the twist (for more styling options)

Heat can and will affect your curl pattern.  The effects of heat damage are especially seen when blow dryers, flat irons and hot combs are used frequently.  Now, every one's hair is different and some hair can take more or less heat before "changing".  Frequent heat is also damaging for relaxed hair too.  Even with the use of products that are supposed to "protect" the hair strands.

I've spoken to a number of women who have altered their curl pattern and are attempting to get the curl back into their natural tresses.  The key to getting your curl pattern back is to STOP using heat on your hair. 

The Science of Black Hair (Papers for The Journey) provides good information on how heat can negatively affect your hair:

1. Healthy hair burns at 451 deg F (the same temperature that will burn paper).  If hair has been previously damaged it will burn at lower temperatures.  Water leaves the hair shaft between 122 to 248 deg F.  Hair proteins break down around 311 deg F and as temperature increases the keratin present begins to melt.  Damage occurring during heat styling is cumulative and the negative impact builds every time heat is introduced.

2.  Typical flat irons and blow dryers operate within 212 to 338 deg F.  This temperature range falls outside of the burning temperature range but the health of your hair will affect the maximum heat tolerance and how it responds to heat.

3. Heat can disturb the moisture balance in textured hair and adds stress to dry tresses.

4. Deep conditioning is necessary for hair that experiences regular heat styling. 

5. At the beginning of a healthy hair regime heat should be avoided all together.  Taking a break from the heat will re-establish protein and moisture levels and allow the hair to be strengthened.

So! For you ladies who are trying to regain your curls......take a HEAT BREAK.  Give your hair a rest and feed it with moisture and protein building products.  Also using protective styles gives your hair a chance to bounce back. 

Now let's take a look at a woman named Ki-Ki who does not have a relaxer, but has straightened her hair for years using blow dryers and flat irons.  Currently her curl pattern is COMPLETELY gone and she as a layered cut that makes it hard to utilize natural styles.  Here is what Ki-Ki had to say about her "Blow Out" style:

When to use:  "When there is no curl pattern, hair strands dry inconsistently, hair is different lengths, and hair cut is good."
 
Hopes of transitioning:  "None, and  I will not start from scratch (the big chop)."
 
Future hopes:  "Cease THE BLOW OUT when all hair is shoulder length and braids or cute sets (like straws or twist outs) are possible."



 
 
I think Ki-Ki should stop putting heat on her hair altogether and wear braids or even a wig to give her hair a HEAT BREAK. 
 
What do you think? Any advice for Ki-Ki??
 
Peace and blessings!

12 comments:

  1. Ki-Ki cut your hair off, let it grow out; wear your wigs until you are satisfied with the length. This is the only help your hair has to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne C, Kiki's Hubbie said "uh uh" to your suggestion. However, she is open to all options. Thanks for your suggestion. She may take it.

      Delete
    2. I kind of like the idea of wearing wigs Ki-Ki....even if you don't want to do the big chop...the wigs will give your hair a "rest"

      Delete
    3. Ki-Ki(lol). You hair is to beautiful for a freaking wig. Wash and go. You have that type of hair my friend. As for me a wash and go wont work. So right now Im rockin braids. But I love a good twist out.

      Delete
    4. Vernadette, thanks for your advice. I really wish I could wash and go. I can wash it but can't go anywhere! LOL It is a HOT MESS when it's wet and dry. .... waiting for the new growth.

      I would also like to try twist out.... one day, I hope.

      Delete
  2. I flat iron my hair occasionally. The problem is that my ends lose their natural curl when I flat iron. I always use a heat protective spray, but sometimes sprays may contain keratin. So, I try to flat iron maybe 5 times a month. I do not blow out. I blow dry without a comb. I get cuts every 4 to 6 weeks, and regularly co-wash, deep condition, and use Mizani, Shea Moisture, and Twista Sister products alternately. Just keep getting trims every 4 weeks, limit the flatty, and the new growth will come in naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your routine Jeanette! I've never tried Twista Sister products. Mizani used to be my shampoo and conditioner of choice (too expensive for me now). Now do any of the products you listed help enhance your natural curl? And when you don't use the flat iron, what is your primary styling technique?

      Delete
  3. I have not put heat on my hair in two years. Wash and and go is the way to go. Shea moistures curl smoothie, olive oil, and black jamaican caster oil are my tools of the trade. Co wash evey two weeks. Wash once a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Akua! Two years with out heat??? WOW! Thanks for sharing what products you use! I tried Shea moisture before I cut my hair. I didn't like it that much...it was too thick and gave my hair a weird coating...I've been hearing a lot about the black Jamaican caster oil, so I think it's worth a try. Do you ever put your "wash and go" hair into a style or just let it frolic?

      Delete
  4. Well... Kiki has succumb to the heat, yet again. THE BLOW OUT only looks decent for 2 days max. However, these comments have inspired her to be persistent in her pursuit of a curl pattern. More to come.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Kiki!!!! So the big chop is next....or are we thinking wigs? What about braids? All the best! Keep me posted on your progress!

      Delete
    2. No... the big chop and wigs just aren't Kiki-style. However, she may consider a mini chop next year, depending on how much excess straight aka damaged hair she has.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions! We are on this Journey TOGETHER!